Smoked mackerel pâté with rainbow pickles
- July 2016
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min
Pâté is a great make-ahead starter for a Sunday lunch or dinner with friends. Alternatively – pack it into sealable containers for a picnic-appropriate snack.
- 32.1g (12.9g saturated)
- 15.6g (14.3g sugars)
For the pickles
- 5 rainbow or heirloom carrots
- 1 red onion
- Small bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2½ tbsp caster sugar
For the pâté
- 460g smoked mackerel, skin removed
- Small bunch fresh dill
- 30g horseradish root, finely grated (or 2 tbsp grated horseradish from a jar)
- 200ml crème fraîche
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish sauce
- Slice the carrots and onion as finely as you can using a mandoline (if you haven’t got one, use a sharp knife), then put in a non-metallic bowl.
- Mix the dill, vinegar and sugar, then pour over the vegetables. Stir, then put in a sealable container. Chill until ready to eat.
- For the mackerel pâté, put all the ingredients into a food processor and whizz to a smooth paste. Season to taste, then put in a sealable container. Chill until needed.
The pâté will keep for up to 48 hours and the pickles for up to 5 days, each packed in sealed containers in the fridge.
Portugal’s vinho verde is great with smoked mackerel and has the crisp edge for the pickles too. Avoid the cheap stuff in the stumpy bottles, though.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead Christmas starters
Mackerel pâté with quick-pickled radishes and spelt
Homemade mackerel paté is an easy but impressive starter, that...
Make-ahead Christmas dinner recipes
Clodagh Mckenna’s smoked mackerel and dill pâté with fennel crispbreads
Clodagh Mckenna’s easy smoked mackerel and dill pâté recipe makes...
Trout terrine with capers, chopped egg, dill and chives
Served with fresh crusty bread and sharp pickled cucumbers, Gill...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter