Miso devilled eggs
- December 2022
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 10 min
Who doesn’t love a devilled egg? This Japanese-inspired twist on the retro classic amps up the umami with a spoonful of miso. We think they’re some of the best devilled eggs you’ll ever eat.
Big fan of miso? You’re going to love our miso recipe collection, filled with sweet and savoury options.
- 8.1g (1.5g saturated)
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- 75g mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white miso paste (check it’s gluten-free if needed)
- Splash rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Shichimi togarashi to sprinkle
- Piping bag with star nozzle
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then gently submerge the eggs and boil for 10 minutes. Drain, then rinse under cold running water until cool. Carefully peel the eggs, then slice each in half vertically, wiping the knife in between each egg to get a nice clean cut.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out the yolks and push them through a fine sieve into a bowl to create a smooth paste. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, miso and rice vinegar, stir to combine, then transfer to a piping bag (with a star nozzle if you have one). If you don’t have a piping bag you can use 2 teaspoons to spoon the mixture into the eggs, but you’ll miss out on that delightfully retro aesthetic.
- Pipe the mixture back into the eggs and finish with a sprinkle of finely chopped chives and a pinch of togarashi.
You can boil the eggs ahead of time but don’t peel them until you’re ready to scoop out the yolks and fill them, otherwise they can become misshapen.
Shichimi togarashi is a spicy Japanese seasoning made up of dried chilli, orange peel, seaweed and sesame seeds. It’s delicious sprinkled over soups and noodle dishes, and is available at Waitrose, Ocado, Asian supermarkets or online. If you’re struggling to find it, you can substitute with a combination of cayenne pepper and sesame seeds.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter