Old fashioned cocktail
- January 2020
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 3 minutes
This is a classic whiskey cocktail of the highest grade, calling for just 5 ingredients (plus ice). It’s a sophisticated and flavourful option for cocktail hour.
- 50ml bourbon whiskey
- Ice cubes
- 30ml rye whiskey (or blended whisky)
- 10ml sugar syrup (see tip)
- A few dashes of Angostura bitters
- Strip of pared orange zest
- Pour the bourbon whiskey into a heavy-based tumbler or old fashioned glass with 2 ice cubes. Stir for 10 seconds, then add the rye whiskey (or blended whisky), sugar syrup, a few dashes of Angostura bitters and a few more ice cubes and keep stirring.
- Add more ice to fill the glass, then twist a pared piece of orange zest over the drink to catch the oils and drop it in the glass. Enjoy!
You can buy sugar syrup or make your own: gently heat caster sugar with an equal weight of water in a pan. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then leave to cool.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
A sophisticated, classic cocktail recipe of bourbon, sweet red vermouth and orange zest that’s sure...