Perfect roast potatoes for Christmas
- April 2019
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 45-55 min
Searching for perfect roast potatoes for Christmas Day? Look no further. You’ll find the fluffiest potatoes with the crispiest edges right here.
We tested this version cooked in goose fat, which produced excellent results, but in the spirit of being all-inclusive we decided to give you the veggie version. If you’d like to use goose fat, swap the 75ml vegetable oil for 5 tbsp goose fat from a jar – or saved from a goose roast.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.1g (0.5g saturated)
- 46.7g (2.1g sugars)
- 75ml vegetable oil (we used Essential Waitrose Vegetable Oil]
- 2kg floury potatoes (we recommend maris piper)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Pour the oil (or goose fat, if you choose to use it; see tip) into a large roasting tin and put in the oven to heat up.
- Peel the potatoes and chop into large even chunks (about 5cm). Put in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a generous pinch of salt, then set over a high heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until just tender around the edges.
- Drain the spuds well, then return them to the pan, put on the lid and give the pan a good shake to rough up the edges. Remove the lid and leave the potatoes to steam dry in the pan for a few minutes. Take the roasting tin of hot fat out of the oven, then use a pair of tongs to carefully transfer the potatoes one by one to the hot fat, turning each one to coat it on all sides as you go.
- Roast for 45-55 minutes, turning once or twice during cooking. Season with salt and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...