Portobello mushroom and chestnut baked custards
- January 2012
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 45-55 minutes to cook
Mushrooms, chestnuts, thyme and garlic are pan-fried with white wine then added to a creamy egg mixture before baking. This delicious vegetarian main course is perfect for Christmas lunch.
See lots more of our vegetarian Christmas ideas, here.
- 71.2g (36.5g saturated)
- 17.1g (5.6g sugars)
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Few fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
- 3 portobello or large portabellini mushrooms, or other large mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 75g peeled and cooked chestnuts, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 150ml double cream
- 2 large free-range eggs and 2 large free-range yolks, beaten
- Large handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Melt half the butter and the olive oil in a frying pan and add the thyme, mushrooms and chestnuts. Increase the heat a little and fry for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender, then stir through the garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Pour in the wine and brandy and allow to bubble gently until reduced by two-thirds (this will take about 5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and tip into a bowl to cool. Mix the cream with the eggs and egg yolks in a jug. Season well, stir in the parsley, then add to the cooled mushrooms.
- Divide between 2 x 250ml ovenproof dishes and place in a deep baking tray. Fill the tray with boiling water until it reaches halfway up the outside of the dishes, then bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until set and golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a pan and fry the shallots until golden brown and crisp. Serve the baked custards topped with the crispy shallots.
Try adding a little hydrated porcini or truffle oil to this dish for an extra-special flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury custard with mackerel and pickled rhubarb (chawanmushi)
Rhubarb and custard in a savoury setting? You bet –...
Vegetarian burger recipes
Halloumi and smoked paprika stuffed portobello mushrooms
For a vegetarian barbecue with a difference, try these portobello...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter