Potato champ cakes with crispy bacon and fried eggs
- November 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
These savoury potato pancakes made with champ mash and topped with bacon and a fried egg make a brilliant brunch or speedy midweek meal.
For something a little more decadent, you’ve got to give this GIANT potato cake a go, too.
- 30.8g (9.7g saturated)
- 40.4g (5g sugars)
- 750g floury potatoes(such as desiree or maris piper) peeled and cut into 4cm chunks
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk
- Bunch spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tsp creamed horseradish, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 25g butter, cubed
- Plain flour for dusting
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plusa splash for frying
- 8 rashers British free-range smoked streaky bacon
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- Salad leaves to serve
- Put the potatoes in a large pan, cover with cold salted water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes until soft. Drain the potatoes well, then return to the empty pan. Leave for a few minutes to steam dry, then mash well.
- Meanwhile, put the milk and spring onions in a small pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix into the mashed potato with the horseradish, butter and plenty of salt and pepper to make a stiff mash. Set aside and, when cool enough to handle, shape into 8 equal patties (flour your hands to prevent sticking).
- Set the oven to warm. Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then add 4 champ cakes and fry for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and heated through. Transfer to a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you add the remaining oil and fry the rest of the cakes.
- Wipe out the pan and add a splash of oil, then cook the bacon for a few minutes on each side until crisp. Move the bacon to the edges of the pan, then fry the eggs in the bacon fat until they’re cooked to your liking.
- Divide the champ cakes, bacon and fried eggs among 4 plates. Serve with salad and a little extra horseradish on the side, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Asian potato cakes with oriental coleslaw
This Asian-inspired potato cake recipe, made with sweet potatoes, polenta and Thai curry paste, makes...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...