Potato champ cakes with crispy bacon and fried eggs
- November 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This comforting dish would make a brilliant brunch or speedy midweek meal and uses ingredients you’re likely to have at home. Who would refuse fried potato, crispy bacon and a runny egg?
For something a little more decadent, you’ve got to give this GIANT potato cake a go, too.
- 30.8g (9.7g saturated)
- 40.4g (5g sugars)
- 750g floury potatoes(such as desiree or maris piper) peeled and cut into 4cm chunks
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk
- Bunch spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tsp creamed horseradish, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 25g butter, cubed
- Plain flour for dusting
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plusa splash for frying
- 8 rashers British free-range smoked streaky bacon
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- Salad leaves to serve
- Put the potatoes in a large pan, cover with cold salted water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes until soft. Drain the potatoes well, then return to the empty pan. Leave for a few minutes to steam dry, then mash well.
- Meanwhile, put the milk and spring onions in a small pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix into the mashed potato with the horseradish, butter and plenty of salt and pepper to make a stiff mash. Set aside and, when cool enough to handle, shape into 8 equal patties (flour your hands to prevent sticking).
- Set the oven to warm. Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then add 4 champ cakes and fry for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and heated through. Transfer to a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you add the remaining oil and fry the rest of the cakes.
- Wipe out the pan and add a splash of oil, then cook the bacon for a few minutes on each side until crisp. Move the bacon to the edges of the pan, then fry the eggs in the bacon fat until they’re cooked to your liking.
- Divide the champ cakes, bacon and fried eggs among 4 plates. Serve with salad and a little extra horseradish on the side, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Asian potato cakes with oriental coleslaw
This Asian-inspired potato cake recipe, made with sweet potatoes, polenta and Thai curry paste, makes...