Rigatoni with sausage and fennel ragù
- September 2009
- 500g rigatoni pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 400g good, spicy Italian sausages
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 300ml vegetable stock, hot
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 25g Parmesan or Grana Padano, grated
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in another saucepan over a low heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic and fennel seeds and cook for a further minute.
- Split open the sausages, add the meat to the onion and gently fry, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until golden. Add the tomatoes, purée and stock, and season well. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Toss the pasta with the sausage ragù and chopped parsley. Sprinkle with the Parmesan to serve.
The sausage and fennel ragù would be delicious used as a layer in a lasagne or moussaka.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...