Root vegetable and lentil tagine
- February 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 20-25 min
Our take on a Moroccan tagine is packed with warming spices, seasonal veg and fibre-rich lentils for a healthy, vegan midweek meal.
- Vegan recipes
- 3.9g (0.6g saturated)
- 34.8g (18.1g sugars)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- About 900g mixed root veg (see tip)
- 3 tbsp dried harissa
- Large handful fresh parsley, stalks and leaves chopped separately
- 200g dried green lentils
- 2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes
- 700ml gluten-free vegetable stock
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 6 prunes, stoned and quartered
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets, any small leaves reserved
- Unsweetened coconut yogurt to serve
- Cooked rice or couscous to serve
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based flameproof casserole (with a lid) over a medium heat. Add the root veg and fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften. Stir in the harissa paste, parsley stalks and lentils.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, then stir in the preserved lemon and prunes. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the cauliflower, then bring back to a simmer. Season, then cook for 3-4 minutes, uncovered, until the cauliflower is starting to become tender. Add the cauliflower leaves, then cook for 2 minutes more. Serve with coconut yogurt and the parsley leaves scattered over the top, with rice or couscous.
Use your favourite seasonal veg – we chose carrot, celeriac and onion. You could also stir in spinach near the end.
Discover how to make hearty, deep-flavoured vegetable stock in our easy video…
Cool, cover and chill for up to 3 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to
3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then reheat and serve with the coconut yogurt and parsley.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...