Sausages and potatoes in ale with roasted red onions
- April 2014
- 3 large red onions
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 300g waxy potatoes (such as charlotte or anya)
- 8 British free-range pork sausages
- 250ml golden ale
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Small handful fresh parsley
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Peel and quarter the onions, then put them in a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 25 minutes or until softened and beginning to crisp.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large flameproof casserole or frying pan, then fry the sausages for 10 minutes or until golden. Add the potatoes to the pan with the ale, vinegar and smoked paprika, season, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the sausages cooked. Add a splash of water if the liquid evaporates; there should be a bit of gravy in the pan.
- Remove the onions from the oven, then stir the sausages, potatoes and gravy into the tin. Roughly chop the parsley, then scatter over to serve.
Next time, fry chopped sausages with finely chopped onion, add a little cream and the parsley, then toss with cooked pasta.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...