Simple lamb chops with bubble and squeak cake
- January 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 mins, 40 mins cooking time, plus cooling
Lamb chops served with garlic butter and a bubble and squeak cake – it’s a cheap recipe to make, you could even make the cake with leftover vegetables from a roast dinner.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 37.3g (14.1g saturated)
- 37g (2.8g sugars)
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 800g floury potatoes, cut into chunks
- 200g Brussels sprouts
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 8 lamb chops
- In a bowl, mix together 25g butter, parsley and garlic. Season well and chill until needed.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until tender. Drain well and mash with the remaining butter, then allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook the Brussels sprouts in a pan of boiling water for 6-8 minutes, until tender. Drain and refresh under cold water. Roughly chop the sprouts and mix with the cold mashed potato. Check the seasoning.
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook the lamb chops for 3-4 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a second frying pan and, when hot, add the bubble and squeak mixture, pressing down so it takes up the whole pan. Leave for a good 4-5 minutes, don’t be tempted to stir it, then gently turn it over (you will have to do this in sections) and press down to brown the other side.
- Add the herb butter to the pan with the chops and allow to melt, then serve with the bubble and squeak.
Rate & review