Spiced beef and beet goulash
- March 2009
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 min to make, 2 hours to cook
Make a batch, eat some and freeze the rest so you have a hearty beef supper at your fingertips should you fancy a night off from cooking.
- 21.3g (6g saturated)
- 33.8g (8.1g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into small cubes
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 500g potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1½ litres beef stock
- 4 medium beetroot, scrubbed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, to serve
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, to serve
- Soured cream, to serve
- Toasted sourdough or rye bread, to serve
- Jarlsberg cheese, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and brown the beef all over, in 2 batches. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan with the garlic and cook over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the hot paprika and cumin seeds and cook for a further minute. Add the potatoes, toss well with the onions and spices, then tip in the beef, chopped tomatoes and beef stock. Season well, cover and cook over a very gentle heat for 1½ hours or until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Meanwhile, wrap the beetroot in foil and bake for 40 minutes or until very tender. Remove the foil, leave to cool, then peel the beetroot and cut into 1cm pieces.
- When the beef is cooked and tender, stir in the beetroot and remove from the heat. Leave to cool completely, then ladle into sturdy freezer bags or rigid containers and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat thoroughly. Stir in the herbs and ladle into bowls with a dollop of soured cream. Serve with some slices of toasted sourdough with melted Jarlsberg cheese on top.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...