Spiced beetroot relish
- November 2015
- Makes about 800g
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 40 min
The perfect accompaniment to cheese, this beetroot relish is a great recipe to make and give to your host.
- 4.1g (4.1g sugars)
- 300ml red wine vinegar
- 300g caster sugar
- ½ tsp nigella seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Seeds from 2 cardamom pods
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 bunches beetroot, peeled and grated on a box grater
- 30g finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 large banana shallots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Pared zest ½ orange
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Put the vinegar and sugar into a medium pan and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Toast the nigella, cumin and cardamom seeds in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add to the vinegar along with the rest of the ingredients and bubble briskly for 40 minutes, stirring often, until thick. Leave to cool and thicken, then pour into sterilised jars (see Make Ahead).
Will keep for up to 2 months in sealed sterilised jars. (To sterilise jars, wash well in warm soapy water, rinse, then dry in a low oven – about 120°C – upside- down on a clean baking tray.) Store chutney in a cool dark place.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Showstopping salmon recipes
Nathan Outlaw’s brandy-cured salmon with Yuletide slaw
Nathan Outlaw cures salmon with brandy in this Christmas-appropriate recipe – and a fabulous salmon...
Loaf cake recipes
Stout, orange and dried fruit loaf with winter herbs
This is a fruit loaf recipe which has it all: earthy, nutty flavours from the...