Strawberry ice cream cake
- July 2022
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus at least 6 hours freezing
This homemade strawberry ice cream cake is made sublime with its berry swirls and chunky shortbread bits. Make ahead for an easy summer dessert.
Check out our quick raspberry ice cream, too.
- 39.8g (24g saturated)
- 25.2g (15.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil to grease
- 600ml double cream
- 150ml condensed milk
- 200ml fresh vanilla custard
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200g strawberries, hulled, plus extra to decorate
- Juice 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp liquid glucose
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 180g good-quality shortbread biscuits, broken into chunks
You’ll also need
- 20cm springform cake tin
- Grease the cake tin with oil and line the base with baking paper. Whisk the double cream, condensed milk, custard and vanilla with a pinch of salt until you have a thick consistency that just holds its shape (try not to overwhip).
- Put the strawberries, lemon juice and liquid glucose in a food processor, then whizz to a purée (or use a stick blender). Add the strawberry purée and 100g of the shortbread to the cream mixture, then gently stir through several times to create a marbled effect. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, then top with 30g more broken shortbread. Wrap well, then freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Half an hour before you want to serve, take the ice cream out of the freezer. Just as the edges are starting to melt slightly, ease it from the tin and put on a serving plate. Top with more strawberries, sliced or whole (whatever you prefer) and the remaining 50g broken shortbread. To serve, cut into wedges, as with a cake.
Easy swaps: We’ve used strawberries, but the recipe works just as well with any berries you fancy – blackberries, raspberries or a mixture.
The shortcake will keep for up to 1 week in the freezer, though it’ll taste best eaten within 3-4 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter