Sweet and sour chicken
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make and about 15 minutes to cook
Sybil Kapoor’s sweet and sour chicken recipe is a fun one to make with the kids and you probably already have all the ingredients at home! Serve with steamed rice.
Or, switch things up a little with our sweet and sour pork and prawns recipe instead.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 23.4g (4.3g saturated)
- 47.3g (33.6g sugars)
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and quartered
- 2 small red onions
- 225g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 medium supersweet pineapple
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 4 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 6 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 5 tbsp sunflower oil
- Cut the chicken breasts into 2cm chunks, place in a small bowl and sprinkle over a little salt. Cut the red peppers and red onions into similar-size pieces and place in a separate bowl. Rinse the bamboo shoots, drain and dice. Add to the vegetables and set aside.
- Top and tail the pineapple, then cut away the skin and thickly slice before coring each slice and cutting into chunks. In a separate bowl, mix the cornflour with 100ml water, the muscovado sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ketchup.
- Place the flour and egg in a bowl and beat with a whisk until it forms a smooth batter. Mix in the chicken and coat thoroughly. Preheat a wok or a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the sunflower oil and once sizzling hot, add half the chicken. Fry briskly for 2 minutes, then turn over and cook the other side for 2 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate, then add the remaining chicken and repeat.
- If necessary, drain all but 2 tbsp oil from the pan, then add the vegetables and stir-fry briskly for 30 seconds before adding the pineapple. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then mix in the chicken followed by the sauce. Boil briskly for another minute or so, stirring regularly, until the sauce thickens. Serve with steamed rice.
Rate & review