Sweet chilli chicken, peanut and noodle salad
- April 2012
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
This spicy noodle salad is a speedy, zingy midweek supper.
- 12.4g fat (2.5g saturated)
- 28.3g protein
- 46.6g carbs (7.3g sugars)
- 1.1g fibre
- 1.8g salt
- 300g rice noodles
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 150g sugar snap peas
- 8 boneless, skinless free-range chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 75g natural peanuts, toasted in the oven for 8 minutes and chopped
- Small bunch each of fresh mint and fresh coriander, leaves picked
- Put the rice noodles in a large bowl and cover generously with boiling water, then leave for 15 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally to separate the noodles (or cook according to pack instructions). Drain and rinse under cold running water.
- Meanwhile, in a wok or frying pan, heat the groundnut oil until very hot, then fry the sugar snap peas for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Season the chicken, add to the wok or pan and fry for 3 minutes until golden, draining off any fat. Add the sweet chilli sauce and continue to fry until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is thickened and sticky.
- In a large bowl, whisk the toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, juice from 1½ of the limes, the fish sauce, garlic and chilli to make a dressing. Add the noodles to the bowl with the sugar snaps, spring onions, cucumber, peanuts and herbs, then toss to coat. Add to the wok or pan and stir through the sticky chicken. Set aside a third for lunch the next day and serve the rest on a platter with the remaining ½ lime cut into wedges.
Store any leftover chicken noodle salad in the fridge. Next day, spoon onto a flatbread, then top with sliced gerkin and a dash more chilli sauce. Roll up for a lunch on the go.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On the table and ready to...