Sweet potato and parsnip gnocchi with blue cheese and pine nuts
- February 2011
- Serves 4-6
- Takes 25-30 minutes to make, 55 minutes to cook, plus cooling
The lightness and sweetness of the sweet potato and parsnip gnocchi combines wonderfully with the blue cheese for a five-star vegetarian supper.
- 28.4g fat (10.3g saturated)
- 17.4g protein
- 53.2g carbs (11g sugars)
- 1g salt
For 6 servings
- 500g parsnips, peeled (woody centres removed if large) and cut into small chunks
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 25g butter
- 400g spinach leaves or greens
- 125g blue cheese, crumbled
- 75g pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Cook the parsnips in a pan of boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, then drain and place in a roasting tray with the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with half the oil, then roast for 30 minutes until tender, turning regularly. Whizz in a food processor, then push through a potato ricer into a bowl, or mash to form a smooth mixture. Allow to cool in a bowl.
- Stir the Parmesan into the cooled mash, along with the flour and egg yolk. Season well, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide the dough in half. Roll both halves out into 2.5cm diameter logs, then cut into 3cm pieces and place on a floured plate.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi in batches for about 2-3 minutes until they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the spinach or greens. Fry for a few minutes until wilted. Season, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter and oil and fry the gnocchi for a few minutes until lightly golden. Serve on a bed of wilted greens with the blue cheese and pine nuts sprinkled over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter