Sweet potato and parsnip gnocchi with blue cheese and pine nuts
- February 2011
- Serves 4-6
- Takes 25-30 minutes to make, 55 minutes to cook, plus cooling
The lightness and sweetness of the sweet potato and parsnip gnocchi combines wonderfully with the blue cheese for a five-star vegetarian supper.
- 28.4g fat (10.3g saturated)
- 17.4g protein
- 53.2g carbs (11g sugars)
- 1g salt
For 6 servings
- 500g parsnips, peeled (woody centres removed if large) and cut into small chunks
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 25g butter
- 400g spinach leaves or greens
- 125g blue cheese, crumbled
- 75g pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Cook the parsnips in a pan of boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, then drain and place in a roasting tray with the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with half the oil, then roast for 30 minutes until tender, turning regularly. Whizz in a food processor, then push through a potato ricer into a bowl, or mash to form a smooth mixture. Allow to cool in a bowl.
- Stir the Parmesan into the cooled mash, along with the flour and egg yolk. Season well, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide the dough in half. Roll both halves out into 2.5cm diameter logs, then cut into 3cm pieces and place on a floured plate.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi in batches for about 2-3 minutes until they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the spinach or greens. Fry for a few minutes until wilted. Season, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter and oil and fry the gnocchi for a few minutes until lightly golden. Serve on a bed of wilted greens with the blue cheese and pine nuts sprinkled over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...