Sweet potato and chorizo filo pies
- February 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 15 min
Crunch into these quick and easy sweet potato, feta and chorizo pies. They’re wrapped in crisp filo pastry and only take 15 minutes to assemble before baking!
- 30.7g (11.3g saturated)
- 65.1g (11.1g sugars)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 80g whole chorizo sausage, peeled and chopped
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 4 sheets filo pastry (we used Jus-Rol)
- 3½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp za’atar spice mix
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp rose harissa
- Mustard cress to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork, then microwave on high for 12 minutes, turning halfway through, until tender.
- Meanwhile, fry the chorizo in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Halve the sweet potatoes, then hold in a tea towel or oven glove and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl. Add the feta, spring onions, lemon zest and chorizo (see tip). Season, then mix to combine.
- To assemble the pies, lay out a filo sheet (keep the rest covered to stop them drying out). Brush it with oil, then put a quarter of the filling in the middle, towards one end. Fold up the pastry to encase the filling, folding in the ends as you roll to make a rectangular parcel.
- Arrange the parcels on a baking sheet lined with a non-stick liner, brush with the remaining oil and sprinkle with za’atar. Bake for
15 minutes until hot and crisp.
- Mix the chickpeas in a bowl with the harissa, lemon juice and mustard cress. Taste, season, then serve with the pies.
Rate & review