Veggie sausage casserole with apples and cider
- January 2022
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus oven time 40 min
Rustle up a delicious veggie sausage casserole with apples, cider and tarragon in just 1 hour. Serve with mash for vegan comfort food at its finest.
Try more plant-based options with our collection of 100+ vegan dinner recipes.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 13.7g (4.5g saturated)
- 37.2g (15.7g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 vegan sausages
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml dry cider
- 800ml vegetable stock (check it’s vegan, if needs be)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ bunch thyme, tied with kitchen string
- 2-3 English apples, quartered (cox or pippin work well)
- ½ bunch tarragon, finely chopped
- Mashed potatoes and green veg to serve
- Heat the oven to 160ºC fan/ gas 4. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large casserole. Add the sausages and brown for 5 minutes, turning regularly. Set the sausages aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the casserole. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and fry over a low-medium heat for 15 minutes or until golden and sticky.
- Once the onions are cooked, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the cider and bring to the simmer, then stir in the veg stock, mustard, bay and thyme. Return the sausages to the pan along with the apples, then cover with a lid or foil. Transfer to the oven for 40 minutes. Once cooked, remove the thyme and serve with mashed potatoes and steamed green veg alongside.
Learn how to thicken sauces with a buerre manie below…
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...