Warm broccoli with anchovies and red chilli
- November 2015
- 300g tenderstem broccoli, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- Juice ½ lemon
- Parmesan shavings to serve
- Boil a full kettle of water. Put the broccoli in a medium heatproof bowl and pour over the boiling water. Leave the broccoli to blanch in the hot water for 3 minutes, then drain it in a colander in the sink.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and fry for 5 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown. Add the garlic, anchovies and finely chopped red chilli, then fry for a further minute. Add the blanched broccoli and fry for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice, season generously with salt and pepper, then thoroughly toss everything together to coat. Serve straightaway topped with parmesan shavings.
Blanch the broccoli as in step 1 up to 24 hours ahead, cool under running water, then drain, pat dry and chill, covered, until needed. Bring back to room temperature before continuing with the recipe from step 2.
Rate & review