Warm stuffed chicory salad
- December 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 25 min
Slightly bitter chicory leaves are roasted and served with sweet pears, tasty stuffing and crunchy nuts. This makes a filling Christmas salad recipe and a great way to use up leftover stuffing.
If you’re looking for more Christmas salad ideas, take a look at our collection here.
- 17.6g 2g saturated)
- 47.3g (20.4g sugars)
- 4 large chicory heads, sliced down the middle and fanned open like a book
- 275g cooked stuffing
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 pears, thinly sliced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 150g lettuce, such as romaine or little gem
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 50g nuts (we used pecans but almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts all work well)
- 40g dried fruit (we used flame raisins but prunes, sultanas or currants also work well)
- 3 tbsp good-quality shop-bought vinaigrette
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the chicory in the middle of a roasting tin and fill with the stuffing (see tip). Add the onions and season, then drizzle with the oil and roast for 25 minutes.
- Put the pears, celery, lettuce, parsley, nuts and dried fruit in a serving dish, then toss gently with the vinaigrette. Top with the chicory and onions to serve.
Use whatever leftover stuffing you have for this recipe. Try swapping chicory for fennel bulbs – just use half a bulb in place of each chicory head.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick smoked salmon and dill fishcakes with chicory
For when you’re in need of comfort food fast – this shortcut fishcake recipe uses...