Warm turkey meatball noodle salad
- October 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 35 min
Try our recipe for homemade turkey meatballs served with noodles, greens and a zingy citrus-ginger dressing. It’s perfect for those looking to save on calories but not willing to compromise on flavour.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 1.1g (0.8g saturated)
- 3.5g (3g sugars)
- 500g turkey thigh mince (2 per cent fat)
- 1 medium free-range egg white
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chinese five-spice powder
- Handful fresh coriander, stalks chopped, leaves reserved
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- ¼ tsp crushed black pepper
- Frylight cooking oil spray
- 4 little gem lettuces, leaves separated
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds removed and sliced into half-moons
- 380g pack Barenaked Noodles (contains 250g noodles, from Sainsbury’s and Morrisons)
- Handful fresh mint leaves, radishes chopped into matchsticks
For the dressing
- Finely grated zest and juice 2 limes
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 red or green chilli, finely sliced or chopped
- Put the turkey mince, egg white, spring onions, chinese five-spice, coriander stalks, fish sauce and black pepper in a bowl, then use your hands to mix together. Season with a pinch of salt, then shape into 20 equal-size balls.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and spray its cooking surface with Frylight. Cook the meatballs, turning, until browned and cooked through (10-12 minutes). Do this in 2 batches to avoid crowding the pan.
- Divide the little gem leaves among 4 plates and top with the cucumber. Drain the noodles, then arrange on top with the meatballs and scatter with the reserved coriander, mint and chopped radishes.
- Mix the lime zest and juice, sesame oil, ginger, chilli and some salt in a small bowl, then drizzle over the salad. Serve straightaway.
Open-freeze the uncooked meatballs on a tray, then transfer to a freezer bag and keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.
These noodles are made from konjac, an Asian plant with a starchy, edible root/corm. It’s high in fibre and is almost calorie free. The noodles are ready cooked and come packed in water.
Rate & review