What to do with leftover cooked chestnuts
Chestnuts shouldn’t just be considered a nice accompaniment to your sprouts at Christmas. When cooked, they become buttery and sweet, reminiscent of a sweet potato, and can be wonderful addition to soups, stews, baked goods, and also pasta dishes. Discover ways to use up leftover cooked chestnuts below.
Recipes using leftover cooked chestnuts
- Roast chicken with chestnut and apple stuffing balls
- Creamy sausage pasta with watercress and chestnut pesto
- Butternut, mushroom and chestnut brioche-crust wellington
- Pasta with chestnuts, mushrooms and parsley pesto
- Kale, chestnut and mushroom pie
- Maple-glazed parsnip, chestnut and feta loaf
- Sticky chestnut buns
How to use up any leftover cooked chestnuts
- Warm parsnip salad
Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss 300g quartered parsnips in a little rapeseed oil in a roasting tin, season, then roast for 35 minutes. After 20 minutes add 100g cooked chestnuts, a few tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves and a drizzle of maple syrup. Toss with salad leaves to serve.
- Moroccan chestnuts
For a snack, cut 100g cooked chestnuts in half and toss with ½ tbsp rapeseed oil, ½ tbsp ground cumin, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp paprika, ½ tsp caster sugar and a little salt and pepper. Spread on a baking tray and roast at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 20 minutes.
- Risotto with a twist
Add 100g chopped cooked chestnuts to a classic risotto for added texture. Try it with this mushroom and spinach pearl barley risotto recipe.
- Tip: You can also make chestnut purée from leftover cooked chestnuts. Put the chestnuts in a saucepan and just cover with milk. Bring the saucepan to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the milk has almost fully evaporated and the chestnuts are soft. Place the chestnuts in a food processor and blend to a puree, adding the milk from the pan as needed to make a smooth, thick paste. Sweeten, and you could make these Mont Blanc chestnut meringues.
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter