- Large knob of butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1kg maris piper potatoes, diced
- 2 litres chicken or vegetable stock, hot
- 200g Stilton, crumbled
- 150ml double cream
- Heat the butter in a large pan, add the onions and celery and cook for 10 minutes, until nicely softened.
- Add the thyme, potatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 30 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart when poked with a knife. Lift out and discard the thyme stalks. Using a hand-held blender, whizz until smooth.
- Stir in most of the cheese and cream and heat through gently. Ladle into bowls, grind over black pepper, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and serve with the scones (below).
These Stilton and walnut scones are great served alongside the soup
- If freezing, when ready to use, defrost thoroughly then continue with the recipe from step 3.