Black pepper strawberries with chocolate crumble
- August 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 15 min
Francesco Mazzei’s strawberry dessert is a lovely way to finish off a meal. The sweet creaminess is pleasantly complemented by both the heat of the pepper, and the richness of the chocolate crumble – leaving you wanting more.
- 35.5g (21.1g saturated)
- 30.6g (23.9g sugars)
Per serving (for 6)
- Finely grated zest 1 large unwaxed amalfi lemon and 20ml juice (or use a regular lemon)
- 60g caster sugar
- 200g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 160ml double cream
- 160g mascarpone
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 20g icing sugar
- Handful fresh basil leaves to serve (optional)
For the chocolate crumble
- 40g demerara sugar
- 25g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- 40g ground almonds
- 15g cocoa powder
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp free-range egg white
- 40g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. In a medium bowl, combine all the crumble ingredients, apart from the butter. Using fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs. Spread over a baking sheet, then bake for 15 minutes until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Mix the zest and juice, caster sugar and a good pinch of black pepper in a bowl. Stir in the strawberries, then leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Whip the cream, mascarpone, vanilla and icing sugar with a balloon whisk. Serve the strawberries (with basil, if using), crumble and cream in separate bowls for guests to help themselves.
Make the crumble up to 12 hours ahead, then keep covered at room temperature.
Rate & review