Brown rice kedgeree
- October 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 45 minutes
Kick start your day with this kedgeree recipe made with brown rice and salmon – a great source of protein and high in omega-3 fatty acids which help healthy brain, heart and joint function.
- 17.2g (5.2g saturated)
- 55.5g (4.1g sugars)
- Glug vegetable or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ tsp mild curry powder
- 250g brown rice
- 1 litre chicken stock (fresh, or 1 litre water with 1 stock cube)
- 200g frozen peas
- 100g young leaf spinach
- 60g full-fat greek yogurt
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- Bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 fillets hot-smoked salmon (about 180g), flaked
- Juice 1 lime
- In a large deep frying pan, heat a glug of oil and add the onion. Fry for 5 minutes, then add the spices. Fry for a further 2 minutes, then add the rice. Cook, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon, for 3-4 minutes, then add 200ml of the stock. Allow the stock to be absorbed, then add half of the remaining stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the remaining stock, then simmer for 10 minutes until nearly tender. Stir in the peas, spinach and yogurt. Simmer for 5-10 minutes more until the rice is tender and the veg are cooked.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil. When the rice has 10 minutes of cooking time left, drop the eggs into the water and boil for 5 minutes. Remove them from the pan, run under cold water and peel once they’re cool enough to handle. (Alternatively, poach the eggs until cooked to your liking.)
- When the rice is cooked, taste and season, then stir in the coriander, flaked salmon and lime juice. Top with the halved soft-boiled eggs.
Soft-boiled eggs are easier to peel if they’re not super fresh.
Rate & review