- December 2007
- Serves 8
- Ready in 35 minutes
This candied shallots recipe makes a delicious side dish to accompany your roast.
If you can’t get enough of shallots, make them the star of the show in this tarte tatin!
- 5.6g (2.8g saturated)
- 9.7g (3.9g sugar)
- 32 small to medium (575g) shallots
- 40g butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 250ml good red wine
- Cover the unpeeled shallots with boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and, when cool, peel the skins away.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and fry for 5 minutes, tossing, until golden. Add the sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the sugar begins to caramelise.
- Add the wine, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Uncover, increase the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, until syrupy. Season and serve.
Not suitable for freezing but to get ahead make the recipe, cool, then reheat later.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Slow cooked beef recipes
Barolo-braised beef and shallot pie with parsnip and potato mash
Beef shin is slowly cooked in Barolo red wine then...
Chicken thigh recipes
Chicken with tamarind sauce, shallots and pickled chillies
A traditional Vietnamese chicken recipe that has morphed from humble...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter