- December 2007
- Serves 8
- Ready in 35 minutes
This candied shallots recipe makes a delicious side dish to accompany your roast.
If you can’t get enough of shallots, make them the star of the show in this tarte tatin!
- Gluten-free recipes
- 5.6g (2.8g saturated)
- 9.7g (3.9g sugar)
- 32 small to medium (575g) shallots
- 40g butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 250ml good red wine
- Cover the unpeeled shallots with boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and, when cool, peel the skins away.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and fry for 5 minutes, tossing, until golden. Add the sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the sugar begins to caramelise.
- Add the wine, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Uncover, increase the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, until syrupy. Season and serve.
Not suitable for freezing but to get ahead make the recipe, cool, then reheat later.
Rate & review