Marmite macaroni cheese
- April 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 15 min
How could you possibly hate it? Dark, sticky Marmite has an intense salty-savoury flavour that takes this macaroni cheese recipe to new heights.
If you really do hate it, we’ve got Marmite-free macaroni cheese recipes that we can assure you, you’ll love.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 17.3g (10.3g saturated)
- 47.5g (5.7g sugars)
- 300g macaroni pasta
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 600ml whole milk
- 3 tsp Marmite
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 75g mature cheddar, grated
- 75g gruyère, grated (see tip)
- 1 slice toast
- Small handful roughly chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes until almost cooked. Drain, reserving 2 tbsp cooking water. Return the pasta to the pan and stir in the reserved water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in another pan, stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk to make a thick white sauce. Add 2 tsp Marmite, the mustard, most of both cheeses and lots of pepper.
- Add the pasta to the cheese sauce, stir to coat, then spoon into a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
- Spread the toast with the remaining Marmite, then roughly chop and whizz to rough breadcrumbs in a food processor. Toss with the remaining cheese and sprinkle over the pasta. Bake for 15 minutes until golden and crisp on top.
- Remove from the oven, rest for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with parsley, if you like, and serve with a green salad.
Gruyère cheese isn’t vegetarian so substitute vegetarian emmental cheese if necessary – and check your cheddar is vegetarian too.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Macaroni cheese recipes
Macaroni cheese with spinach and pesto pangrattato
We’ve taken macaroni cheese to the next level with this easy cheesy, pesto-y vegetarian recipe...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...