Fresh crab with rhubarb, chilli and fennel seed yogurt
- January 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 20-35 min
”The heat from the chilli and the anise of the fennel seeds bind the crab to the rhubarb beautifully – they’re a bridge between these distinctly different but strangely compatible ingredients.” – Gill Meller
You could finish off your meal with some of Gill’s poppyseed shortbreads, too.
- 22.8g (7.7g saturated)
- 35.1g (13g sugars)
- 3 slim sticks forced rhubarb, cut into 5cm pieces
- Finely chopped zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted and gently crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 350g thick Greek yogurt
- ½ small bunch fresh parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 200g white crabmeat
- 50g brown crabmeat
- A few fennel fronds, if available (you could use dill sprigs if you like)
- 4 slices sourdough
- Heat the oven to 140°C/120°C fan/gas 1. Put the rhubarb in a medium baking dish and squeeze over the lemon juice. Scatter over the sugar, half the sliced chilli and half the crushed fennel seeds. Tumble together with 2 tbsp cold water and 1 tbsp of the oil. Cover the dish tightly with foil and cook for 20-35 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft but not broken down. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Divide the yogurt among 4 plates, spreading it over each. Top with a sprinkling of parsley, the remaining fennel seeds and chilli, the lemon zest and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Put both crabmeats in a bowl and mix with a little salt, black pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil. Arrange the crab and the rhubarb over the yogurt. Spoon over any juices from the dish, then scatter with fennel fronds if using.
- Toast the bread, trickle with the remaining olive oil and season with sea salt. Serve alongside the crab and rhubarb.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter