Crispy pork belly
- October 2008
- 1kg boneless pork belly, skin scored (ask your butcher to do this for you)
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3 celery sticks, cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Place the pork belly on a board and pat dry with kitchen paper. Rub the fennel seeds and sea salt all over the skin.
- Place the onion wedges and celery in a roasting tin, put the pork belly on top, skin-side up, and roast for 1 hour. Increase the temperature to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7 and roast for a further 20 minutes, until the crackling is crisp. Place on a carving board to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
You don’t need to stick to fennel seeds on the pork belly – try adding lemon zest, garlic and rosemary instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Five-spice slow-roast pork belly with pea and leek pilaf
This quick and easy five-spice slow-roast pork belly with pea...
Sponsored by Majestic
Satisfyingly slow roasts
Slow-roast pork belly with sherry gravy and mint relish
It’s impossible to resist the crunchy-salty crackling and tender meat...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter