Fennel, rocket and herb salad with dijon vinaigrette
- March 2016
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 15 min
A simple fennel and rocket salad, topped with toasted almonds for added crunch. This light side will sit nicely alongside any dinner party main.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.1g (1.1g saturated)
- 2.1g (1.5g sugars)
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 100g rocket
- 2 handfuls fresh soft herb leaves – we used a mixture of basil, mint and chives
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 very finely chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 5 tbsp light olive oil
- Handful toasted flaked almonds
- Trim and finely slice the fennel. Toss with the rocket and herbs in a bowl. In a small bowl or mug, mix the mustard, shallot, white wine vinegar, sugar and a large pinch of sea salt. Whisk with a fork to mix.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, until it emulsifies into a thick, smooth dressing. Taste and season, adding sugar/vinegar if you think it needs it. Drizzle the dressing over the leaves, toss together, then scatter with the toasted almonds and serve immediately.
Make the dressing up to 48 hours in advance and keep in an airtight container in the fridge until needed. Put the undressed salad in the serving bowl, cover with a damp piece of kitchen paper and keep in the fridge for 1–2 hours (any longer and the fennel will discolour).
Rate & review