Greek-style casserole with courgette dumplings
- October 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 15 min
This family-friendly Greek-style casserole uses up the best of your store cupboard. The dumplings on top are incredibly versatile and can be made using any tinned beans you like – butterbeans would work especially well.
If you like your courgette dumplings a little spicier, try this courgette kofta curry.
- 19.5g fat (6.7g saturated)
- 44.3g (12.2g sugars)
- 8.4g fibre
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 400g tin black-eyed beans, rinsed and drained (see Tips)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150g sugar snap peas
- Small handful dill, chopped, to garnish
For the dumplings
- 110g self-raising flour
- 1 medium courgette (200g), grated
- 140g feta, crumbled (vegetarian, if needs be)
- Heat the oil in a casserole and fry the onion for about 8 minutes until softening. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the cinnamon and peppers and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Tip in the beans and chopped tomatoes, then rinse the tomato tin with 150ml water and stir into the beans. Season. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, courgette, feta and some seasoning in a large mixing bowl. Add a few tablespoons of water and use your hands to bring the mixture together so the courgette releases its own juice. Roll the dough into walnut- size balls (around 9-12), then set aside.
- Add the sugar snaps to the stew, arrange the dumplings on top, then cover with a lid or a sheet of foil and cook for 15 minutes until the dumplings have risen and are cooked through. Sprinkle with dill and serve.
Use any tinned beans you like for this – butterbeans would work especially well.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Courgette and farro summer soup
The courgette and farro soup recipe is easy and delicious, and makes the most of...