Ham, roasted red pepper, Grana Padano and goat’s cheese pizza
- September 2006
- 2 large red peppers
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes or 1 litre sugocasa (chunky passata, from Sainsbury’s)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or thyme
- 10 slices of San Daniele ham
- 2 x 75g small, rinded goat’s cheeses, thinly sliced
- 150g Grana Padano, plus extra for serving
- Small fresh basil leaves, to garnish
For the base
- 400g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp easy-blend dried yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- For the base, sift the flour, yeast and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, and add 250-260ml hand-hot water and the oil and gradually mix together in to a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Drop back into a lightly oiled large mixing bowl, cover and leave somewhere warm for about 1 hour, until roughly doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220c/fan200c/gas7. Put the red peppers onto a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and garlic in a large frying pan and as soon as it starts to sizzle, add the tomatoes or sugocasa and sugar and simmer vigorously for about 20-25 minutes, stirring now and then, until reduced to a thick sauce. Stir in the oregano or thyme and season to taste.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, seal in a plastic food bag and leave to cool, then remove and discard the stalks, skin and seeds and tear the flesh into rough strips. Increase the oven temperature to 240c/fan220c/gas9 or its highest setting.
- Lightly oil 2 rectangular swiss roll tins (about 23 x 33cm), then line with baking paper. Punch down the dough, knead once more on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then cut in half. Roll each piece out to a rectangle slightly larger than the tins and use to line each, bringing the dough well up to the sides of the tins.
- Spread the tomato sauce over each pizza base. Tear the ham into large pieces and arrange over the top of each pizza with the roasted red pepper strips and goat’s cheese slices. Shave over thin slices of Grana Padano, if you like, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until brown.
- Slide each pizza onto a wooden board and cut into 8 pieces. Shave over some more Grana Padano, if you like, and scatter some small basil leaves to serve.
Rate & review