Houmous, beetroot and avocado salad
- May 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
This flavour-packed beetroot and avocado salad includes Omega-3 rich houmous with flaxseed carrots and feta for a healthy, filling lunch with a difference.
Want to add more salads to your lunchtime repertoire? Check out hundreds more healthy salad recipes, including our sweet potato, chickpea and feta salad with tahini dressing.
- 15.1g fat (7.7g saturated)
- 14.6g carbs (6.1g sugars)
- 4 beetroot, cut into wedges
- 2 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil), plus extra for drizzling
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained, water (aquafaba) reserved
- 2 tbsp smooth tahini
- Juice 1 lemon, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 fat garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 120g sprouted milled flaxseed/linseed (we used Linwoods)
- 2 small ripe avocados, halved
- 100g salad leaves
- 6 baby cucumbers (or ½ large cucumber), sliced
- 2 carrots, grated (we used heritage/rainbow varieties)
- 80g feta, crumbled (check it’s veggie if you need it to be)
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the beetroot on a roasting tray, drizzle with the avocado oil, then roast for 35-40 minutes until tender.
- For the omega-3 houmous, whizz the chickpeas, tahini, lemon and garlic with half the reserved chickpea water in a food processor/blender. Add the flaxseed/linseed and whizz, adding more of the chickpea water, if needed, for a smooth consistency. Season.
- Divide the houmous, beetroot, avocado, leaves, cucumbers, carrot and feta among 4 plates, then drizzle over a little more oil and, if you like, lemon juice for a sharper flavour.
Know-How: Milled flaxseed is good in cereals, smoothies and yogurt. It’s high in omega-3s, contains fibre – and it’s gluten free.
Don’t waste it: The houmous and roast beets will keep, covered in the fridge, for up to 3 days
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Avocado houmous with coriander pitta
This avocado houmous recipe with coriander pitta combines the usual suspects of chickpeas and tahini...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...