Houmous, beetroot and avocado salad
- May 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
This flavour-packed beetroot and avocado salad includes Omega-3 rich houmous with flaxseed carrots and feta for a healthy, filling lunch with a difference.
Want to add more salads to your lunchtime repertoire? Check out hundreds more healthy salad recipes, including our sweet potato, chickpea and feta salad with tahini dressing.
- 15.1g fat (7.7g saturated)
- 14.6g carbs (6.1g sugars)
- 4 beetroot, cut into wedges
- 2 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil), plus extra for drizzling
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained, water (aquafaba) reserved
- 2 tbsp smooth tahini
- Juice 1 lemon, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 fat garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 120g sprouted milled flaxseed/linseed (we used Linwoods)
- 2 small ripe avocados, halved
- 100g salad leaves
- 6 baby cucumbers (or ½ large cucumber), sliced
- 2 carrots, grated (we used heritage/rainbow varieties)
- 80g feta, crumbled (check it’s veggie if you need it to be)
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the beetroot on a roasting tray, drizzle with the avocado oil, then roast for 35-40 minutes until tender.
- For the omega-3 houmous, whizz the chickpeas, tahini, lemon and garlic with half the reserved chickpea water in a food processor/blender. Add the flaxseed/linseed and whizz, adding more of the chickpea water, if needed, for a smooth consistency. Season.
- Divide the houmous, beetroot, avocado, leaves, cucumbers, carrot and feta among 4 plates, then drizzle over a little more oil and, if you like, lemon juice for a sharper flavour.
Know-How: Milled flaxseed is good in cereals, smoothies and yogurt. It’s high in omega-3s, contains fibre – and it’s gluten free.
Don’t waste it: The houmous and roast beets will keep, covered in the fridge, for up to 3 days
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter