Lime and coconut slice
- March 2004
- for lots of people
- Ready in 1½ hours
A little bit of a retro treat. Homemade pastry is topped with an easy lime curd, and plenty of coconut shavings – a taste of the tropical right here in your home.
- 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 250g plain flour
- 30g icing sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the lime and coconut topping
- 6 eggs
- 375g caster sugar
- 25g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 limes
- 75g fresh coconut, shaved
- Grease and base line a 23cm square tin. Put the butter, flour, icing sugar and egg in a food processor and whizz to a soft dough. Press well into the tin, making sure it goes into the corners and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Bake the pastry base for 20-25 minutes until pale golden.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, whisk the eggs, add the sugar, flours, lime zest and juice and whisk until pale and smooth. Pour on to the slice base and sprinkle over the coconut. Don’t worry if it seems thin, some mixture will go down the side of the pastry but it will set on cooking. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until set and lightly golden. Cool in the tin, then cut into squares and lift out one by one.
Rate & review