Orzo with roasted veg sauce
- June 2021
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 15 min
Dale Pinnock’s orzo with roasted veg sauce is the ultimate vegan comfort food for busy nights. Blitz roasted onions, tomatoes and peppers and simmer with orzo for a super easy dinner. The Medicinal Chef: Plant-Based Diet is out now.
- Vegan recipes
- 8.4g (1.2g saturated)
- 41.4g (15.6g sugars)
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 4-5 large plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100g orzo
- 200ml vegan vegetable stock
- Small handful basil leaves to garnish
You will also need
- Food processor
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the onion, peppers and garlic in a roasting tin, drizzle with a little olive oil and add a good pinch of salt. Roast for about 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and stir. Return the vegetables to the oven and roast for a further 25-30 minutes.
- At this stage there should be a lovely concentrated sauce in the bottom of the roasting tin. Transfer everything to a food processor and whizz.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan, add the orzo and simmer gently for about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened and reduced and the orzo is starting to soften. Add the vegetable stock in small increments – you probably won’t need all of it. What you’re aiming for is a risotto-like texture, where the orzo is cooked al dente and the sauce is thick and rich. Garnish with basil leaves before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Budget pasta recipes
Easy orzo pasta with oregano, feta and tomato sauce
Make a change to your midweek bowl of pasta and use tiny rice-sized orzo to...