Pear and blue cheese tarts
- July 2006
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 15-17 minutes to bake
Ready-made puff pastry make this pear and blue cheese tart recipe really easy to prepare.
- 500g pack puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 15g butter
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 150g Cambozola (or Bavarian blue for a stronger taste), cubed
- 2 pears, sliced
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 4 tbsp walnut oil
- 11/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Mixture of bitter lettuce leaves, such as chicory or radicchio
- 30g walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roll the pastry into a 30 x 20cm rectangle. Cut in half lengthways, then make 2 cuts widthways, to give 6 equal squares. Brush each square with the egg and score a square inside the pastry, leaving a 1cm border. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Using a spoon, lift out and discard the inner square of pastry, and scoop out any uncooked pastry.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. When melted, fry the onion until slightly browned.
- Mix the onion, Cambozola, pear, cream, thyme and seasoning.
- Fill each pastry square with a generous tablespoon of the filling and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Mix the walnut oil and lemon juice and toss with the salad and walnuts. Garnish each square with a thyme sprig and serve with the salad.
Rate & review