Pickled cucumber, fennel, gooseberry, tarragon and lemon salad
- June 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min
Sharp, sweet, crunchy and fresh – Gill Meller’s quick pickled cucumber salad is the perfect side dish for a summery spread.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.9g (0.8g saturated)
- 5.5g (4.8g sugars)
- trace salt
- 1/2 firm cucumber, peeled
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- Small bunch fresh tarragon
- Small bunch fresh mint
- 2-3 handfuls fresh gooseberries (or 160g tinned gooseberries)
- Juice 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Halve the cucumber lengthways. Scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon, then slice into 1cm half-moons and put in a large non-reactive (stainless steel, glass or plastic) mixing bowl. Trim and discard the base and tops from the fennel and remove any tough outer leaves. Slice the fennel bulbs from top to base, as thinly as you can (use a mandoline if you have one) and add to the bowl.
- Add the red onion, vinegar, sugar and plenty of salt and pepper then, using a spoon or your hands, tumble everything together and set aside to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pick the tarragon and mint leaves and roughly chop. Add the gooseberries to the cucumber and fennel along with the lemon juice, olive oil and herbs. Tumble everything together, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Speedy salmon recipes
Smoked salmon pâté with quick-pickled radish and cucumber
Smoked salmon pâté, served with blinis or toasted sourdough, is an excellent quick-fix starter recipe.