Pigs in blankets with mustard bubble and squeak
- March 2013
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 minutes
This classic sausage recipe for pigs in blankets with bubble and squeak is easy to make with shortcut ingredients.
- 6 Waitrose Honey and Rosemary British Pork Chipolatas Wrapped in Oak Smoked Dry-cured Bacon, or similar
- 400g Waitrose Warming and Tangy Mustard Mash, or similar
- 320g Waitrose Warming and Rich Onion Gravy, or similar
You’ll also need…
- 100g cavolo nero
- Good pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the sausages in a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes, turning once, until the bacon is crisp and the sausages are piping hot.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the cavolo nero, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the cabbage is bright green.
- Drain and refresh under cold water, then squeeze out all the excess moisture (there will be quite a lot).
- Finely chop the cooked cabbage, then transfer to a bowl and mix with the mashed potato and grated nutmeg.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the mixture for 5-6 minutes or until golden on the base.
- Meanwhile, warm the onion gravy in a pan over a medium heat. Serve the bubble and squeak with the sausages and gravy.
Next time use curly kale or savoy cabbage instead of cavolo nero, then stir chopped parsley or thyme through the mash.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Caramelised onion tart with walnut and parmesan crust
Sweet, slow-cooked onions make this vegetarian tart recipe a real treat. The walnut and parmesan...