Quick spicy beef and chestnut pasta
- October 2008
- for 4 people
- Ready in 25 minutes
Introduce the earthy, seasonal flavour of chestnuts to this meaty sauce. You can make this veggie by using Quorn mince for a quick meal to suit all needs.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 red onion, cut into quarters
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tbsp tomato and chilli paste
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 150ml red wine
- 227g can chopped tomatoes
- 200g cooked and peeled chestnuts, halved
- 300g fresh penne
- Put a saucepan of lightly salted water on to boil.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the beef mince and fry for 5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Add the red onion, garlic, tomato and chilli paste, fresh sage leaves and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, until the onion softens.
- Pour in red wine and bubble until evaporated. Add the chopped tomatoes and chestnuts. Cook for 5 minutes more. Add the fresh penne to the pan of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes or until al dente.
- Drain and serve with the sauce and grated parmesan, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spicy beef koftas with onion salad
Chef Bill Granger loves to serve these beef koftas with onion salad wrapped in naan...