Roast pork with peaches, garlic roast potatoes and courgette gratin
- June 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 2 hours 5 min, plus resting
London restaurateur Ben Tish shares his summery roast pork recipe served with roast peaches and a courgette gratin: a knock-out summer feast.
Ben says: “This is a summery spin on roast pork. I use yellow peaches that still have a little bite as they hold their shape better and give a sweet-sharp contrast to the pork. The courgette gratin is a favourite in my house. It’s light and fresh, and also great on its own with a well-dressed salad.”
We’ve got loads more inspiration in our summer roasts recipe collection.
- 43.4g (19.5g saturated)
- 44.2g (19.1g sugars)
For the courgette gratin
- 6 courgettes, trimmed and cut into 0.5cm diagonal slices
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- Grated zest ½ lemon
- 80g parmesan, grated
- 100ml double cream
- 120ml mascarpone
- Handful coarse breadcrumbs
For the potatoes
- 700g desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
For the pork
- 4 banana shallots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 rack British outdoor-reared pork (about 1.8kg), trimmed, chine bone removed, tied for roasting and skin scored (your butcher will do this and larger supermarkets sell this as standard)
- Olive oil for rubbing
- 3 large firm peaches, cut in half, stones removed
- ½ bunch fresh thyme
- 50ml runny honey
- 250ml glass red wine
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Toss the courgettes in a glug of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then spread out on 2 large baking trays. Roast for 10-15 minutes until beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile for the potatoes, put the potato pieces in a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 3-4 minutes, then drain and steam dry for a few minutes. Transfer to a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- For the pork, put the shallots in a roasting tin and the pork on top. Rub the meat with oil and season well. Once the courgettes are out, put the pork and potatoes in the oven and roast both for 30 minutes or until the skin of the pork has crisped.
- Meanwhile, for the courgette gratin, heat a glug of oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook gently until softened. Mix in the courgettes, lemon zest and two thirds of the parmesan, then transfer to a baking dish. Pour over the cream, dot over the mascarpone and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and remaining parmesan.
- Turn down the oven temperature to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Scatter the garlic over the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes alongside the pork, then remove the tray of potatoes and set aside. Add the peach halves to the pork roasting tray and scatter over the thyme. Roast for a further 40 minutes (if the joint is heavier, roast for 5 minutes longer per 100g) and the peaches have softened. Remove from the oven, drizzle over the honey and pour in the red wine around the pork. Cover with foil and rest for 30 minutes.
- While the pork is resting, turn the oven back up to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Bake the gratin for 15-20 minutes until bubbling and put the potato tray back in for 5 minutes to finish cooking.
- Once the pork has rested, remove it from the tin. Tip out excess fat, then reduce the remaining liquid, scraping the bottom as you go to make a pan gravy. Season to taste. Toss the potatoes with the parsley and serve alongside the pork with the courgette gratin.
A premium fruity South African chenin blanc has just the right ripe, juicy character for this dish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pork belly with roast peaches, chard and mustard vinaigrette
Crunchy crackling on the outside, tender and flavourful slow-cooked pork on the inside, plus sweet...
Pork fillet with fennel and apple salad and creamed feta
The apple and fennel compliments the roasted pork fillet beautifully in this easy-to-prepare salad recipe....
Brined roast chicken with a classic waldorf salad
Debbie Major’s summer roast recipe uses brined chicken – adding juiciness and flavour. Served alongside a...
Roast chicken recipes
Roast chicken with crispy potatoes, summer salad and herby hollandaise
A wonderful whole roast chicken with crispy skin-on potatoes, asparagus, radishes and herby hollandaise. It’s...