Roasted Mediterranean vegetable lasagne
- February 2006
- Serves 8
- Ready in 1½ hours
Try this vegetarian lasagne recipe made with aubergines, courgettes and peppers combined in a rich, creamy and cheesy sauce
- Vegetarian recipes
- 2 small aubergines, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunky strips
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 450g courgettes, sliced
- 225g fresh lasagne sheets
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan, finely grated
For the sauce
- 900ml semi-skimmed milk
- 60g sunflower margarine
- 70g plain flour
- 125g full-flavoured half-fat hard cheese, such as vegetarian cheddar, coarsely grated
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Mix the aubergines, onions, peppers, garlic, 3 tablespoons of the oil, and a little seasoning in a bowl. Transfer to a large roasting tin and cook for 30 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a large frying pan. Fry the courgettes over a high heat for 4 minutes, until browned. Tip onto a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside.
- Remove the roasted veg from the oven. Stir in the courgettes. Lower the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Make the sauce. Bring the milk to the boil in a pan, then set aside. Melt the margarine in a pan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the lasagne according to the packet instructions, separating the sheets and draining on a clean tea towel.
- Add the cheese to the sauce and season. Spoon a thin layer over the base of a buttered 2.4-litre shallow ovenproof dish. Cover with 4 lasagne sheets, overlapping them slightly. Top with half the vegetables, then one-third of the remaining sauce and another 4 sheets of lasagne. Repeat once more. Spread over the remaining sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Serve with salad.
Rate & review