Spicy braised tofu
- September 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-one time 15 min, cooking time 20 min
This tofu dish by Caroline Hwang, author of Korean Food Made Easy, is first pan-fried and then braised in a slightly spicy soy mixture. Delicious in a lunchbox and also great as a banchan.
You will need
- 1 x 397g pack of extra firm tofu, sliced and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon gochugaru (dried red pepper flakes)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and place the sliced tofu in one layer. Cook for about 4–5 minutes until golden brown, then turn over and cook for another 4–5 minutes on the other side. Repeat with the remaining tofu if cooking in batches.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour this over the fried tofu and leave to slightly braise for 2–3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining tofu if cooking in batches.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On the table and ready to...