Stuffed aubergine rolls
- May 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 min to make, 30 min to bake, plus 2 hours salting
A traditional Pugliese recipe made by rolling thin aubergine slices around a rich minced meat and parmesan mixture and then baking.
- 17g (7g saturated)
- 16.8g (2.7g sugars)
- 3 medium aubergines
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 500g good minced meat (half pork and half veal or beef)
- 110g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 55g each grated Parmesan and Pecorino
- 2 large, free-range eggs, beaten
- Bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for oiling and drizzling
- Slice the aubergines lengthways into thin strips. Place in a colander, sprinkle with the sea salt and set aside for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Rub a mixing bowl with the cut side of the garlic, then discard. Add the meat, breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, parsley, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Pat the aubergine slices dry with kitchen paper and lay them out on a board. Make small balls of the meat mixture, place 1 in the centre of each aubergine slice and roll up.
- Lay the rolls in a large, oiled baking dish, drizzle with more oil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Rate & review