Stuffed aubergine rolls
- May 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 min to make, 30 min to bake, plus 2 hours salting
A traditional Pugliese recipe made by rolling thin aubergine slices around a rich minced meat and parmesan mixture and then baking.
- 17g (7g saturated)
- 16.8g (2.7g sugars)
- 3 medium aubergines
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 500g good minced meat (half pork and half veal or beef)
- 110g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 55g each grated Parmesan and Pecorino
- 2 large, free-range eggs, beaten
- Bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for oiling and drizzling
- Slice the aubergines lengthways into thin strips. Place in a colander, sprinkle with the sea salt and set aside for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Rub a mixing bowl with the cut side of the garlic, then discard. Add the meat, breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, parsley, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Pat the aubergine slices dry with kitchen paper and lay them out on a board. Make small balls of the meat mixture, place 1 in the centre of each aubergine slice and roll up.
- Lay the rolls in a large, oiled baking dish, drizzle with more oil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...