Summer vegetable and feta galette
- June 2023
- Serves 2 or 4 for a light lunch
- Hands-on time 10 min. Oven time 20 min
This pretty, versatile galette celebrates all of late spring and early summer’s culinary heroes – and it’s ready in 30 minutes. This beauty would make a great vegetarian main for a dinner party.
Fancy something sweet? How about our blueberry galette.
- 32g (12g saturated)
- 39g (1.9g sugars)
- 75g feta
- 20g soft herbs, chopped (we used basil, parsley and dill)
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon, plus a squeeze of juice
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 100g seasonal green veg such as mangetout, peas, broad beans and finely sliced baby courgettes
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 320g sheet shortcrust pastry
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- ½ tsp nigella seeds
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt (optional)
- Pinch sumac (optional)
- Put the feta, herbs and lemon zest in a food processor or blender and whizz into a fine green rubble. Put the sliced shallot in a bowl with your vegetables, the oil and a squeeze of lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper and mix to coat.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6 with a large, flat baking sheet inside to heat up.
- Keep the pastry on the sheet of baking paper it comes in and prick the centre with a fork, leaving a border (around 3-5cm) around the outside. Spread the feta mixture over the pricked centre, then lay the sliced vegetables on top. Fold the exposed pastry borders into the centre to create a rustic pleated edge. Brush the pastry edges with egg wash, then sprinkle with the nigella seeds.
- Remove the hot tray from the oven and carefully slide the galette (on the baking paper) onto it, then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the pastry base is cooked through and crisp underneath. Once out of the oven, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, then stir the sumac into the yogurt and serve on the side (if you like).
This tart is just as tasty at room temperature as it is warm – keep leftovers in the fridge and eat within 2 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ricotta and grilled vegetable tart
This grilled vegetable, pesto and ricotta tart recipe will make...
Courgette galette with manouri cheese and chilli-honey dressing
Josh Katz’s courgette galette with Greek manouri cheese is perfect...
Tenderstem and spring onion galettes with goat’s cheese
This open-face style tart recipe is called a galette. It’s...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter