The ultimate ginger loaf cake
- May 2011
- Serves 10
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 50 min
Soft, squidgy and loaded with spice, our ultimate ginger loaf cake recipe makes a tempting teatime treat. The addition of black treacle adds real depth of flavour and creates the cake’s wonderful sticky exterior. If you’ve never made a ginger cake before, you’ve got to give it a go!
Or take this classic bake up a notch with our date and ginger cake with a caramel glaze.
Get dozens of recipes delivered to your door every month with delicious. Magazine. See our offer to get five magazines for £5.
- 17g (10.4g saturated)
- 4.9g protein
- 50.2g (29.3g sugar)
- 175g unsalted butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 175g black treacle
- 200ml whole milk
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 250g plain flour
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 1.5kg loaf tin.
- Melt together the butter, sugar and treacle, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk. Set aside to cool until lukewarm, then beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, spices and a pinch of salt into a large bowl, then make a well in the centre. Pour in the milk mixture and stir to make a smooth batter. Give the bowl a sharp rap on a work surface to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Pour the batter into the tin, then bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Don’t open the door before 40 minutes has passed as your cake will almost certainly sink in the centre.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out. Wrap in baking paper, then cling film. Store overnight or for up to 1 week before serving.
Watch a handy video showing you how to make the loaf here:
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Loaf cake recipes
Lemon and poppy seed loaf cake with cream cheese frosting
This feather-light, fresh-flavoured lemon and poppyseed cake is delicious shared...
Naked cake recipes
Chocolate and ginger cake with sweet sherry buttercream
This chocolate and ginger naked cake recipe is perfect for...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter