Trout with crème fraîche and brined gherkins
- November 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 30-40 min
Chef and food writer Olia Hercules’ show-stopping trout recipe, with added diced dill pickles for extra flavour and panache, is inspired by her childhood memories of Christmas in Ukraine.
If you’re looking for more recipes with trout, check out this whisky-cured sea trout on cream cheese – it’s a winner.
- 35.9g (13.7g saturated)
- 2.4g (1.7g sugars)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g full-fat crème fraîche
- 2-5 garlic cloves, according to personal taste, crushed
- 100g brined gherkins, finely diced (see Know-how)
- 25g fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 whole sustainably sourced trout, about 2-3kg (see tip), scaled, gutted and cleaned
- Boiled or crushed potatoes to serve
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Line a baking tray with foil, then lightly oil (so the fish doesn’t stick – it’s easier to clean).
- Mix the crème fraîche with the garlic, gherkins and half the dill. Season to taste.
- Put both trout on the prepared tray and make 3-4 slashes on each fish with a sharp knife. Spread the crème fraîche mixture all over the trout, pushing it into the cuts and the cavity of the fish. Bake in the hot oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the fish and how you like it cooked. We tend to ‘overcook’ fish in Ukraine by Western standards, and I sometimes leave it for a bit longer, but I just love it when the sauce becomes deep golden on top.
- Serve with the remaining dill scattered on top and some boiled or crushed potatoes, as you wish.
Ask your fishmonger to prepare your fish for you. If you can’t find trout, use a whole 2-3kg sustainably sourced salmon and cook for 30-40 minutes.
Any leftovers will keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.
In Ukraine, brined gherkins are fermented (like sauerkraut) rather than pickled in vinegar. If you can’t find them, use pickled gherkins instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...