Warming sweet potato and ginger soup
- March 2016
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 40-45 min
A healthy sweet potato soup recipe made with warming spices and a ginger kick.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 18.5g (14.3g saturated)
- 43g (17.2g sugars)
- 1kg sweet potato, skin on, roughly chopped
- 2 eating apples, such as braeburn, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 20g fresh ginger, grated
- 400ml full-fat coconut milk
- 750ml good quality vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- Greek yogurt and fresh coriander leaves to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Spread the sweet potato pieces and apple wedges in a large roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes until softened and golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Add the onion and fry over a low-medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the coriander and cumin seeds, then fry for a further 5-10 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ginger, coconut milk, stock and salt, then bring to a gentle simmer. Once the sweet potato and apple are cooked, carefully add them to the pan. Simmer for a further 5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Use a stick blender to whizz the soup until smooth – wrap a tea towel around the pan to prevent the soup from splashing while you whizz it. (Or carefully blend in batches in a jug blender.)
- Serve with a swirl of yogurt and a sprinkling of coriander. Have some crusty bread on hand for dunking.
Fresh stock makes a big difference to soup. Buy the best quality you can afford.
You can prepare this soup up to 1 week in advance, then store in a sealed container in the fridge. Or freeze for up to 3 months; thaw to reheat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted sweetcorn soup with curry-spiced butter
Debbie Major uses curry butter to spice up this roasted sweetcorn soup recipe.