Warming sweet potato and ginger soup
- March 2016
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 40-45 min
A healthy sweet potato soup recipe made with warming spices and a ginger kick.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 18.5g (14.3g saturated)
- 43g (17.2g sugars)
- 1kg sweet potato, skin on, roughly chopped
- 2 eating apples, such as braeburn, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 20g fresh ginger, grated
- 400ml full-fat coconut milk
- 750ml good quality vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- Dairy free yogurt (or Greek yogurt) and fresh coriander leaves to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Spread the sweet potato pieces and apple wedges in a large roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes until softened and golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Add the onion and fry over a low-medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the coriander and cumin seeds, then fry for a further 5-10 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ginger, coconut milk, stock and salt, then bring to a gentle simmer. Once the sweet potato and apple are cooked, carefully add them to the pan. Simmer for a further 5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Use a stick blender to whizz the soup until smooth – wrap a tea towel around the pan to prevent the soup from splashing while you whizz it. (Or carefully blend in batches in a jug blender.)
- Serve with a swirl of yogurt and a sprinkling of coriander. Have some crusty bread on hand for dunking.
Fresh stock makes a big difference to soup. Buy the best quality you can afford.
You can prepare this soup up to 1 week in advance, then store in a sealed container in the fridge. Or freeze for up to 3 months; thaw to reheat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted sweetcorn soup with curry-spiced butter
Debbie Major uses curry butter to spice up this roasted sweetcorn soup recipe.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...