Apricot and ginger jam
- September 2009
- Makes 3 pots (1.2kg)
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook, plus standing
Apricots, when perfectly ripe, have a beautiful perfume and taste. This is a great breakfast jam.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 4.8g (4.6g sugar)
- 1kg fully ripe apricots
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1kg jam sugar
- 45g stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
- Halve the apricots and remove the stones, reserving a handful. Place the fruit, 150ml water and the lemon juice in a preserving pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is very soft.
- Meanwhile, using a nut cracker, crack open the reserved apricot stones to extract the kernels. Blanch the kernels in a pan of boiling water for 1 minute, then drain.
- Remove the jam from the heat, stir in the sugar, kernels and ginger. Return to a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then boil for 10 minutes until the thermometer reaches 105°C – if you don’t have one, try the set test. You can find this method in our How to make jam article.
- Skim any scum from the surface, stand for 10 minutes, then pour into sterilised jars (again, see our How to make jam article.) Put waxed discs on top. Secure each jar with cellophane covers and elastic bands, then add fabric covers and labels.
Rate & review