Baked camembert bread bowl
- December 2020
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 20-25 min
This camembert bread bowl works as a hearty starter, informal tear and share lunch, or perhaps as part of a vegetarian Christmas buffet. Go on, dig in!
Or, for another easy, cheesy starter with fewer carbs but just as much melt, try this sharing pan fondue.
- 8g fat (4.6g saturated)
- 11.2g protein
- 24.7g carbs (3.7g sugars)
- 2.9g fibre
- 1.2g salt
- 400-500g round rye sourdough loaf or cobb
- 1 x 250g camembert
- 4 tbsp cranberry sauce
- Splash of dry white wine
- 3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Trim the top from the loaf to leave a circle 1cm larger in diameter than the camembert. Cut down 2cm into the dough to make a circular hole, pulling out the bread. Spread the cranberry sauce all over the cavity, then sit the camembert inside. Score the top, pour over a splash of dry white wine and add the herb sprigs.
- Wrap in foil and bake at 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6 for 15-20 minutes. Uncover and return to the oven for 5 minutes until golden and oozing. Tear or slice to serve.
Save the bread trimmings to make croutons for another recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked camembert with crispy pancetta and sourdough sticks
An oozy, boozy, pancetta-covered baked camembert is the perfect dinner...
Vegetarian Christmas starter recipes
Baked camembert with honey, granola and rye crackers
This isn’t your run-of-the-mill baked camembert recipe. We’ve combined an...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter