Oven-roasted spiced squash and cauliflower risotto
- March 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15-20 min, oven time 40 min
Our spiced butternut squash and cauliflower risotto is low in saturated fat making it a healthier choice on a weeknight.
Looking for something else? You can discover more vegetarian risotto recipes here.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12g (4.7g saturated)
- 65.2g (14.5g sugars)
- 750g frozen prepared butternut squash (or 1 large squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into chunks)
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets (leaves reserved)
- 1½ tbsp light olive oil
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g risotto rice
- 700ml good quality vegetable stock, hot
- 75g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated
You’ll also need…
- Large ovenproof frying pan or flameproof casserole
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the squash in one side of a large roasting tin and the cauliflower florets in the other. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil, then add the thyme, chilli flakes, fennel seeds and some salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, tossing halfway through. Add the cauliflower leaves for the final 5 minutes of the cooking time, tossing them in the oil to coat. Cook until the vegetables are just tender and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining ½ tbsp oil in an ovenproof saucepan or flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes until lightly golden, add the garlic, mix well for 1 minute, then stir in the rice. Add the hot stock and transfer to the oven for 20-30 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir the roast vegetables into the rice along with the cheese. Taste and season, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...