Oven-roasted spiced squash and cauliflower risotto
- March 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15-20 min, oven time 40 min
Our spiced butternut squash and cauliflower risotto is low in saturated fat making it a healthier choice on a weeknight.
Looking for something else? You can discover more vegetarian risotto recipes here.
- 12g (4.7g saturated)
- 65.2g (14.5g sugars)
- 750g frozen prepared butternut squash (or 1 large squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into chunks)
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets (leaves reserved)
- 1½ tbsp light olive oil
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g risotto rice
- 700ml good quality vegetable stock, hot
- 75g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated
You’ll also need…
- Large ovenproof frying pan or flameproof casserole
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the squash in one side of a large roasting tin and the cauliflower florets in the other. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil, then add the thyme, chilli flakes, fennel seeds and some salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, tossing halfway through. Add the cauliflower leaves for the final 5 minutes of the cooking time, tossing them in the oil to coat. Cook until the vegetables are just tender and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining ½ tbsp oil in an ovenproof saucepan or flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes until lightly golden, add the garlic, mix well for 1 minute, then stir in the rice. Add the hot stock and transfer to the oven for 20-30 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir the roast vegetables into the rice along with the cheese. Taste and season, then serve.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter